Jon fetched it last night and I was so very much hoping for a sunny day today but instead we were outside in the rain, at least it isn't cold, from just after 7am for nearly two hours putting the soil here... (obviously there is still some weeds which need to be gotten rid of!)
...and here. I'd been saving cardboard to use as mulch for the tyres so I put that in first.
It was time to go in for some breakfast and the boys made us bacon and egg butties, with a bit of help from Jon, and a pot of coffee. After breakfast I made the bread, did a few admin jobs and after a lunch of fish fingers and salad the boys helped Jon tidy his shed and I headed back to the veg patch.
The thing I really wanted to transfer was the Squash plant which was running amok in its much smaller planter; I think it will be much better here.
The fruits are looking great, not quite twice the size of a goosberry, look a bit like them too!
I then set to planting out some of the beetroot. I did one row and then left it because the soil was too wet for me to kneel on but I made some progress - if you can just about see them!
I also finally got around to planting out the leeks. I really hope they take; I followed the rules by putting them in the hole then watering it and lightly putting the soil back into it. Fingers crossed. I have a whole new level of anxiety now wondering if things are going to grow properly outside.
A couple of things from the Poly House. Does anybody else who is growing something simialr to Dwarf Beans have them growing with tiny black blemishes on them? These have, but cook and taste just fine. Just wondering.
Then you may just be able to see that the tomato in the middle of the picture is not quite totally green anymore. Eeeek!
When we had finshed all our jobs and were just about to come in Jon said about letting the chickens out of the enclosure for a while. They took a while but gingerly stepped out.
I hope we don't find one of them beak down in the pond! I was worried, too,that they would head for something I didn't want them to eat but they were quite happy scratching around at the greenery near the fence. We think we will do this late in the afternoon now and again and, hopefully, they will take themselves back into the enclosure, especially when it is winter and gets dark sooner.
Nearly forgot, another little job we did this morning was to cut this budlea down which was making a shadow over the Poly House. May seem a bit severe but that is how it goes sometimes. You can see the strawberry patch in the foreground. We have not done well with these at all this year. We are not going to stress but build a frame for them ready for next year and hope for a much better harvest.
Well I think that is me caught up. Jon is still off work, this is his second of two weeks. Tomorrow we have a trip to make to the tip and we are going to collect a door for the end room to keep in stock until we are ready for it - a bargain at £15 - and as it is near Borth I really hope the weather is good enough for us to take a look at the beach.
Oh, egg yield for this month was 139. Only one down on last month so we have covered the cost of half the initial lay out for the chicken project.
At the end of the week Jon's dad and his wife are coming to visit and we expect they will take the boys back with them for a week at the caravan. Realised today that I will be on my own in the day time next week as Jon will be back at work. Never mind, I am sure I will keep myself busy with this and that!
Bye for now.